Friday, January 23, 2015

Crawl

I had an assignment due for MLK day that was not only perfect for the class, but also for my life and this blog...


“If you can't fly then run,
if you can't run then walk,
if you can't walk then crawl,
but whatever you do
you have to keep moving forward.”
-Martin Luther King Jr.



            When I first read this quote, I knew it was perfect for this assignment as it deeply resonated with me. My life up to this point has not been easy; at all. My late teens and early twenties were spent caught up in a life threatening battle with anorexia. I was lost. Luckily, I had parents who were brave enough to intervene and help me find the treatment I needed to save my life. It has been a long, tedious process.

            I couldn’t fly or run. I couldn’t run or walk. I could barely crawl when I entered treatment, but somehow, I learned how to keep moving. Slowly, I began the recovery process. I learned how to take the baby steps needed to rebuild my life. At first crawling didn’t seem like an option. Life was too difficult. I had fallen too far behind and was ashamed of my illness. As I grew stronger and healthier, however, I slowly learned to "crawl" again.

            During the process of gaining nutrition (not weight), I also gained confidence in myself. I was slowly able to move on my own and "crawl" again. It took time, but as I learned to crawl, I also learned to feel good about myself. I felt a sense of independence that slowly led to standing on my own two feet and bravely walking toward my recovery. As I gained momentum, there were very few things holding me back. 

            Crawling turned into walking.
            Walking turned into running.
            Running is still in the process of becoming flying, but I know it will happen.

            The road ahead is long, but well worth it. The learning process is never ending, but just what I need to pursue my degree in social work. I might not be able to run or fly right away, but that's okay. With time, I know I will do well and continue to learn what I need to in order to be a successful social worker.

Life starts out at a crawl.
Recovery has been a crawl.
School starts out at a crawl. 
Being an adult is a long, difficult process that begins with a crawl.


However, as we gain momentum, walking and even running becomes a little easier with each day and each experience we take in.
One day at a time.
We crawl.

Progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment