Monday, January 5, 2015

A Day Without Complaining


When I woke up this morning the temperature felt like -4 with the windchill. After a mild start to this Michigan winter, the subzero temperatures are finally here. All I wanted to do was stay in bed, watch Netflix, and complain about the weather. 

Until I saw this...


With a great deal of hesitation, I drug myself out of bed and started a hot shower to ease the post warm, cozy bed chills. I thought of the no complaining for 24 hours sign and was able to instantly shift my thoughts away from the bitter cold, and into gratitude for a steamy shower. 

After going through my morning routine, it was time to bundle up and layer every piece of clothing I owned before making the trek across campus to the library. I felt myself beginning to think about how much I hated winter and seeing my breath the moment I stepped outside; but then I thought of the no complaining sign. Again my thoughts shifted. The first snow of the year is actually quite beautiful and I have plenty of hats, gloves, scarves, boots, and long underwear to keep me warm on my ten minute walk. Walking across campus might not be so bad after all.

Next, I found myself at the library filling out an extensive job application for an on-campus writing center mentor. I was getting frustrated because I had to submit 5 of my past pieces of writing, write a three page introduction to my portfolio explaining my writing style, complete a four page, essay style application, and then finally a resume and cover letter. It felt silly and unnecessary. Before I knew it this application felt overwhelming and I almost gave up, but then I remembered that no complaining sign. I'm lucky enough to have plenty of past college papers and my own personal writing samples. I'm lucky enough to enjoy writing. I'm lucky enough be on a college campus getting my education.

Several other instances popped up today where I felt like crawling back into bed and complaining about everything wrong in my life. But once I was able to shift my thinking, I realized how irrelevant my complaints are. Sure, it takes some serious effort and commitment to go a day without complaining, but I think it's worth it.

I don't think I'll be able to do this everyday for the rest of my life, but I do think if I can learn to implement it on a regular basis my thinking will be much clearer. With a little practice this "no complaining for 24 hours" thing could be my new favorite coping skill.

Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment