Monday, November 18, 2013

The Naturally Thin Struggle, Too

 
Ever since I started writing and publishing this blog, a shockingly high number of people, most of whom I least expect, have reached out to me and said they could relate to my writing on some level or another. In fact, I have recently started to feel more connected to my peers than ever before because I have chosen to share some of my troubled past. Funny how that works.

Late last week an old friend of mine from my early college years sent me a message that completely changed my perceptions of the naturally thin. Honestly, I always thought this friend of mine had the 'perfect' body, was absolutely gorgeous, and had her life together. I was incredibly jealous of her to say the least. Reading about her experiences was heartbreaking because she hid her struggles so well and I know how difficult that can be...


"Although I don't suffer from an eating disorder, I have battled for several years with severe/chronic depression. I actually started feeling that way after years of being teased because of how thin I was (I naturally have always been underweight), people would constantly tell me I looked "gross" and "sick" and all kinds of bad things. All I wanted was to have curves like "real women" did. Funny how so many women strive to be thin but there I was thin as a rail and I was the most self-conscious person around, humiliated and disgusted by how I looked. 

I have been in and out of several mental institutions and on different medications and have just this year found some peace from this illness after completing a behavioral health program after I was hospitalized (yet again) for severe depression. I have also attempted suicide once a few years back during one of my most darkest days. 

There is a daily struggle with learning to love myself and all my flaws. I used to feel like I was too ugly and worthless to even leave the house. I also struggle with body dimorphic disorder. Spending hours a day looking at pictures of 'beautiful women'', and staring at myself in the mirror hours on end just to end up feeling like I'm the most disgusting person on earth. The mind is SUCH powerful thing, and its unfortunate that us women get to the point where these illnesses ruin our lives and steal our joy. Fat, thin, tall, short," beautiful", or not... each woman deserves to feel good about themselves, despite what society makes us feel."

I think there is a huge misconception in today's society that makes us believe life would somehow be perfect if we are thin. The multi-billion dollar diet industry is proof that most Americans strive for the so-called perfect body. This friend proved to me that 1.) having the perfect body doesn't solve all problems and 2.) even those who appear to be perfect don't necessarily have their lives in order. Maybe I'm not alone in my insecurities after all.

My friend's exact words were, "I just want girls to know that they aren't alone. Even girls who seem to "have it all together" are sometimes suffering inside."

 
Perhaps my previous post about being normal isn't so abnormal after all.

Progress.




Thank you again, you know who you are, for sharing!! :)

12 comments:

  1. I never really thought of things from that perspective. If I see someone very underweight, sadly I tend to assume it's ED or they choose to be that way. That's awful but I think a lot of us do the same. I'll think differently now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought! It's always nice to get a different perspective and realize that thin doesn't necessarily equal happiness... right?!

      Delete
  2. It's heartbreaking to know that there is so much invisible suffering out there (and in here). We really can't ever know another's story unless we actually take the time to ask and then to listen, really truly listen to the answer. I think the world would be a better place if we could manage to be present with people and to accept their story, their journey and to be with them how they need. I am glad your friend is finding some peace and I know she is lucky to know you and have you on her side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It is impossible to know the suffering of others without hearing their entire story, which is why I wanted to publish this post. It's heartbreaking! But also, like you said, reassuring to know we aren't the only people who struggle!! xoxo

      Delete
  3. it is funny because it is yet another one I can relate too. since i started my blog, people from all parts of my life have written me saying they relate to one form or another, even if it isn't an ED

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny, Alex, I agree. I'm also so thankful for those connections. You and I live completely different lives, yet I strive to be live you every single day!

      Delete
  4. People can be judgmental for any reasons, and I believe that we all have some issues one way or another. No one is normal, and everybody is normal. You can name "apple" to be "melon", and you can start to say, "I want melon today." Outer world really means little. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a good point. No one is normal. I am slowly learning that. I owe you an email, don't I??! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg this really brought me close to tears :( i can´t help looking full of jealousy at the extraordinary skinny girls at my school ( that are obviously like this naturally) but i hope this post will help me changing my perspective. its so sad how we all compare ourselves and there is aways competition. and we forget we all are human and most girls struggle with their body image andwho they are at a certain age and we all are put under pressure by a superficial society and the (diet) industry. accepting, loving and nourishing our bodys should be the goal, for every women out there no matter which size because in the end thats what matters and i think we could achieve this way better if we´d inspire, help and understand each other instead or making it a live long competition and struggle. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the comparisons are what get us in trouble. Even though I might be envious of those stick-thin girls, they might be envious of my curves... It's not an easy thing to deal with, but we can do it! :)

      Delete