Sunday, August 4, 2013

Happiest 5k :)


Let's talk about the best day of my summer today, okay? Yesterday I did the Color Run, also known as the Happiest 5k, with my best friend and literally had sore cheeks all afternoon from the nonstop smiling. 




Happiness is something that we all strive for, yet rarely find a way to fully achieve it. I think as I am continuing to discover myself through recovery, I am finding that true happiness often comes from the simplest things. Before I began recovery, I had lost sight of what it felt like to get caught up in a perfect moment like this. For this one day all of my anxieties were erased and I found a way to simply be.

Before the race started, we were in crisp white t-shirts and freshly showered, as you can see in the first picture. Although we looked good, because well, we always look good, our outfits just weren't complete. There were five different stops along the way; each drenching us in a different color paint. By the end of the race, as you can see, we were completely covered in a sweaty mess of mixed paint - how fun is that?!

Recovery, in my opinion, is very similar to this crazy happy 5k.  To start the race, I wasn't sure just how colorful I wanted to get. Kaila, my best friend, had done the race before so she knew where to run in order to get the most paint on us. As the race went on and I eased into the idea of being covered in paint, I realized this was a once in a lifetime thing so I might as well get as colorful as possible. When I first started getting my feet wet in recovery, I was apprehensive. Now that I am a year into it, however, I can see that the more I push and challenge myself, the more 'colorful' I will become as well.




If it wasn't for recovery and a healthy mindset, I would not have been able to enjoy this very special moment. Life is meant to be lived happily... And colorfully. Twenty four hours later I am still completely blissed-out. After taking three showers yesterday, I have yet to completely remove all of the color from this crazy day. Let's hope recovery and all of the colorful adventures it has brought me will leave that strong of a mark, too.

Progress. :)

17 comments:

  1. This looks like SO much fun :) I'm glad you could enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Em! You should totally do it if they ever have it in your area. It was a BLAST!

      Delete
  2. This looks like Grand Rapids! I live in the area :)
    I've been recently going through your blog and see a lot of similarities between us. I am also a runner, also recovering from an eating disorder, also a writer :) Just wanted to say thanks for this blog and keep up the great work! I'll definitely be back here to read some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is in downtown Grand Rapids. I just love that area. Thanks for reading, Rachael. I'm not much of a runner, but would love to get back into it someday. Maybe you can help me work exercise back into my life without it becoming obsessive. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm a reader who has never commented, but I'm in GR as well. Nice to know someone else is in the area, and of course, great post ;)

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Abby! GR is a great area. Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  3. Ahhh I love color run!! I did the ypsi one a few months ago and it was awesome. Amazing energy and people. Glad you had fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good time. Glad you enjoyed it a few months ago, too!

      Delete
  4. Those events look like so much fun! I love running (but my knees haven't forgiven me for a marathon I ran when I was 19!)--I'd love to get my family to do this sort of thing!

    I love the links you made between the 5K and your recovery. I hope you keep taking chances, trying new things, and enjoying the splashes of color along the way!

    Now I'm itching for a good run...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't run the entire thing. Neither of us did any training and there's so many people that it makes it hard to run during certain points of the race. It wasn't about who got the best time, it was just about having fun. There were families and people of all ages. I would highly recommend it. :)

      Delete
    2. Sounds like my kind of event!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful way to celebrate life, recovery and yourself :-)

    It seems like this experience gave you a real boost of positive energy. It fills me with joy to see how you're glowing with life and strength in these pictures, Kelsie.

    The way you describe the 5K and your recovery process is very interesting and your words rang so true for me.

    Continue to embrace life and the opportunities that come your way. Explore the world and dare to grow.

    I believe in you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Hedda. It's always nice to have your encouragement. Life should be a celebration, we just forget to remember that sometimes. <3

      Delete
  6. The smile on my own face is GIANT just reading about/seeing yours. There is no more way to celebrate life than living!! Honestly, laughter (especially giggling laughter or the type of joy that can make your cheeks hurt) is THE most precious gift we can receive in life. It's a true blessing!! I am SO SO SO glad that you got to enjoy it!! Had you been trapped in your ED and thinking about cals burned or just disconnected from the world, there's NO way you would have gotten 1% as much enjoyment out of it. You were primed for ultimate enjoyment, and took full advantage. I hope you get to do it again, sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness Chels, I didn't even think about burning calories until just now. That didn't even cross my mind. !!!!!! I knew I was more active yesterday than normal so made sure to eat higher calorie foods but I honestly didn't put too much thought into it. Is this what living life is?! Whaoooo! :)

      Delete
  7. Looks like you proved the race slogan right! Love the pictures, looks like a great time :)

    ReplyDelete