Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Positive Affirmations

Recently, I had a request to do a post on positive affirmations. The Something Fishy eating disorder website has a seemly endless list of feel-good phrases that I often refer to in times of need. One of my favorite little tricks, is to write one or two down on a small piece of paper, carry it in my pocket and read it throughout the day to help lift my spirits. Sometimes we just need a little positive reminder to treat ourselves with love and respect.

This list could go on forever, but I narrowed it down to a few of the best:
 -Whenever my attention wanders away from that which is good and constructive, I immediately bring it back to the contemplation of that which is lovely and of good report.
-I will not label myself as my problems. I am not my disease.
 -I am not afraid of life. I believe that life is worth living, and my belief helps create the fact.
-I appreciate, love and respect my body. I will honor its needs to grow emotionally and physically.
-It doesn't matter what the disease is. There is always room for hope. I am not going to die one of the statistics.
-I forgive myself and others, release the past and move forward with love in my heart.
-I can go anywhere I want to go, one step at a time.
-I love and approve of myself, am at peace with my own feelings and stand tall and free.
-I am in charge. I am responsible for the direction of my boat.
-I am meant to be very different from everyone else. This releases the burden of feeling like I have to be someone other than me.
-Today is the beginning of the rest of my life. It is a clean slate. I will begin it totally refreshed and just live it.
-I will not allow the fear of "what if" to ruin the joy of "what is."
-I can be kind and patient with myself in my progress toward recovery.
-Whenever I face a hardship, feel anxious, nervous, and sad, I will embrace my pain and agony. I know I can learn from my misery and pain and share the knowledge with others.
-I will surround myself with people who are affirming and encouraging.
 -I will not feel guilty for caring for myself.
 -I like myself today. I am aware of possibilities for improvement, but I don't want to be anyone else. I am comfortable and accepting of who I am. I can forgive my mistakes and move on to try again.
**If I can endure for this minute whatever is happening to me No matter how heavy my heart is or how dark the moment might be...If I can but keep on believing what I know in my heart to be true, That darkness will fade with morning and that this will pass away, too...Then nothing can ever disturb me or fill me with uncertain fear, For as sure as night brings dawning, my morning is bound to appear...  (my favorite)
Feel free to use any of these positive affirmations, make your own, or visit the Something Fishy website for tons more. 
One of the most important parts of healing is changing those negative, self destructive thoughts. I have found the more I am able to remind myself of the positive aspects of my life, the less I think about the hardships.
 Affirmations are true, positive statements or judgements. Call me crazy, but I would much rather fill my brain with these than my usual cruel, self critical thoughts!
Progress.

5 comments:

  1. How is it possible that I have never heard of that Something Fishy site?! Thanks for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this! I am in need of a little positivity at the moment and this post really raised my spirits. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! A little positivity really does go a long way. Hang in there <3

      Delete
  3. Cheers to being positive and achieving true happiness :)

    Mary, spiritual growth

    ReplyDelete