Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Unconditionally Me

Instead of studying for a biology quiz tomorrow, I found this (poem?) and decided it was much more interesting than memorizing the correct order of the taxonomic scheme.

As I was reading it, I imaged this as a letter I wrote to my anxious brain, perfectionism tendencies and self criticisms. Sometimes a little self compassion is not only nice, it's absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, I tend to forget that more than I like to admit.


Unconditionally Me
By: Jim Messina

I am who I am
You cannot change me so please do not try
So let up with the criticisms, put downs and attempts to make me fit your "box" for me
Face it; it is easier for you just to accept me as I am than to work at making me who you want me to be
Of course you do not have to agree with what I say or do
Just accept me as the human I am
I am weak, have sinned, failed, and have made many mistakes in my life
Hey, that's what makes me the "unique me" that I am
I will never be perfect, ideal or the "image" you want for me
Accept me for who I am as I accept you for who you are
Let's have fun together and allow our "real selves" the freedom to be us
We can be a team of unconditional mutual love and acceptance if you relax and let it happen.

Right now the best part of recovery is discovering who I am without my eating disorder. It's taken me almost a year to reach this point and actually begin the process of allowing myself to be Unconditionally Me. Finally, my faults have been admitted. Finally, I can forgive and start to rebuild.

Progress.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love this so much<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Sometimes it's nice to "talk back" to our eating disorders a little bit. <3

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this poem, dear! I love it and am keeping it with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Good idea, I think I will keep this with me for awhile too! <3

      Delete