Saturday, January 5, 2013

Keep Your Head Up, Love


I've had this song on repeat for about five days straight now. Not exaggerating. I suggest listening to it as you read this post.

Over the past week or so, I've been struggling with all of the emphasis around weight loss this time of year. Everywhere I turn, there's a new ad trying to convince me that now is the time to lose weight and be happy. Most of the people I know are changing their habits and getting in shape. Gym memberships and diet foods are on sale. There's no escaping it.

At first, this really got under my skin and I was down in the dumps for a few days. This is the first time in probably ten years that weight loss has not been one of my New Year's resolutions. I think I might have been feeling a little jealously even.

One of the most important things I have learned over the past few months is, sometimes it's important for me to be selfish. Not selfish in the sense of harming others, but simply doing what is right for myself and my recovery. This is one of those times. While weight loss might be the right thing for some people right now, it is not the right thing for me at this time.

Being selfish and doing what is right for my recovery has been a hard lesson to learn at times, but I feel like it's getting a little better everyday. Surrounding myself with supportive people and postive reinforcements has been such a blessing, making a huge impact on my wellbeing. Sometimes a little selfishness is not only acceptable, but it is necessary in life.

As difficult as this time of year might be at times, all I can do, is crank up my new pump-up-song a little louder, dance around my room and "keep my head up."

Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment