Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Recovery Is...

Last week my therapist asked me to think about what the word recovery means. Puzzled, I left session wondering if she had forgotten I have a brain. My entire life revolves around that word right now, which automatically makes me an expert.

Recovery [rɪˈkʌvərɪ]n pl -eries
1. the act or process of recovering, esp from sickness, a shock, or a setback; recuperation
2. restoration to a former or better condition
3. the regaining of something lost

Recovery is getting rid of my eating disorder- simple as that.

However, after a week of thinking about this, I think I finally figured out what my therapist meant. Maybe I’m not the recovery expert I thought I was. There is so much more to recovery than simply recovering.

Recovery is...

Living
Rediscovery
Invigorating
Freedom
Bliss
A second chance
Frustrating
Emotional
Sharing secrets
Honesty
Letting go
A clean slate
Healing
Self Love
Chocolate everyday
Life changing
Vulnerability
A fresh start
Tedious
Integrity
Hope
Time Consuming
Painful
Laughter
Losing control
Yet, gaining control at the same time
Maturity
Strength
Willpower
Health

Recovery does not have a short and sweet definition; like my best friend always says, it's a process. Recovery is not always a good time, but according to my list, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. I can't wait to prove to my therapist that I do have a brain, after all. :)

Progress.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment